Sunday, March 8, 2009

Never Enough

Never Enough

I often ask myself how much is enough? Enough what you may ask? Let’s consider education. I recently enrolled back in school to further my education at my employer’s request and to be honest with you, it was not a very appealing proposition for me. I found myself asking the question – How much is enough? How much more time must I commit? How much more could I learn about the business I have been in for over 20 years? Was there enough value to me based on the time commitment it would take to achieve the objective?

These were valid questions in my mind. The company trusts me with a multi-million dollar budget and a team of resources spread across the US to drive their business. Furthermore, I have already learned many lessons within their structure of multiple roles and living in multiple cities the last 20 years which has developed my business skills very substantially. They must have confidence in my ability – so what gives??

Plenty. Although I was somewhat reluctant and pessimistic about continuing my education, I can honestly say I have underestimated the value of what I have been learning since my return to school. I can unequivocally say that the development I have experienced these last several months has been immeasurable. I have become a better manager, employee, and leader in my organization because of my recent education endeavors.

I have become much more appreciative of the opportunities provided to me in continuing my education. I have come to the conclusion that you can never have enough education and you can continue to learn in significant strides regardless of age and experience. It all comes down to attitude and how much you are willing to let yourself learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment